Races & Contests
We are excited to host a variety of competition during Dachtoberfest. For 2023 Dachtoberfest we will have wiener dog races, a five category costume contest, longest doxie and shortest doxie contests.
To help streamline the registration process, we are offering our attendees the option to pre-register here online for both our wiener dog races and our costume contest. There will also be an opportunity to register in person at the event.
Wiener Dog Races:
WIENER DOG RACE RULES
Race Entry Fee: $5.00 per Dog
All Races are for Fun and does not qualify for regional or national standings.
Little Links - Under 2 years old
Bratwurst - Between 2 and 8 years old
Senior Schnitzel - 9 years old and over
Special Sausages – Special Needs Dachshunds
1. Dachshund Races are open to pure bred dachshund and dachshund mixes* only weighing no more
than 30 pounds.
2. One handler/owner is required to participate in the races. They will be stationed at the finish line to catch the racing dog. If you don’t have your own releaser, a volunteer will be provided by DEF for each racer.
3. Both handler and dog must be on deck and ready to go 10 minutes prior to the assigned heat time. Those racers not present will be called no more than twice. If racers are still not present, their spot will be forfeited.
4. Only the handler and the dogs running in the current heat will be allowed in the track area.
5. Releasers will not throw, push or in any way give the dogs a head start at the beginning of the race.
6. Owners/Handlers cannot run up and down the track during the race.
7. Handlers cannot reach for the dog over the finish line. The dog must cross the finish line on its own.
8. The first dog to run COMPLETELY across the track finish line will be the winner of the heat.
9. The winning dog of each heat will automatically be entered into the championship race which will be held following the final heat of each category.
10. Judging Officials’ rulings are final. Attempts to argue with judging officials or event coordinators will result in removal from the event.
11. We reserve the right to disqualify any pet/owner for inappropriate behavior.
12. Any dog that bites another dog, person or handler will not be permitted at the races.
13. Dogs that mysteriously teleport from the starting line to the finish line will be checked carefully for alien technology or paranormal abilities. Resistance is futile.
Remember that this is supposed to be a fun event! No scholarships or national sports contracts will be awarded today (unfortunately). Also remember that the people who run this event are all volunteers, so please be kind. Treat them like you would treat your dog, not your husband.
All Race entries must be signed up by 1:30pm.
Prizes: Each heat 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place runners will receive a ribbon. Each division winner will receive a trophy and a prize pack. All racers will receive a participation certificate.
*Note: To qualify as a “Dachshund Mix”, dachshund must be the dominate trait in your dog. Event staff reserve the right to reject a dog for not meeting this requirement.
COSTUME CONTEST RULES
Entry Fee: FREE
Best Pack – Group – Human/Dog
Dapper Dog – classy stylish male dog
Doggie Diva – fancy, elaborate female dog
Most Creative –original, unique
Most Whimsical – funny, playful, fanciful
Entrants must sign up by filling out the costume contest form either pre-event online or here on site to participate.
Entrants will receive a participant number which must be worn so that it is visible to the judges during the contest.
Pets must be leashed at all times.
Entrants must gather at the costume contest area (center ring by the stage) by 11:45AM.
Each costume will be judged for only one of the above categories.
No entrant is eligible for more than one award.
Judges’ decisions are final.
All Costume entries must be signed up by 11:45am.
Each category 1st place winner will receive a trophy and goodie bag. Second and Third place winners will each receive a ribbon. All contestants will receive a certificate of participation.
Longest & Shortest Doxie Contest:
Each dachshund contestant will be measured twice.
1st measurement will be from tip of nose to base of tail.
2nd measurement will be from tip of nose to tip of tail.
All measurements will be recorded throughout the day. Each contestant will give dog’s name, owner’s name, and a phone number.
Contest winners will be determined by the 1st measurement figure. In the case of a tie, the 2nd measurement will be used to serve as the tie breaking figure.
Winners will be crowned for the longest dachshund (highest measurement) and shortest dachshund (lowest measurement).
Winners will be announced at 3:20pm during the Dachtoberfest activities.
Winners do not have to be present to win. If not present, they will be contacted to arrange pick up of their prize.
Prizes: Each winner will receive a trophy and a goodie bag